Quantcast
Channel: The Maynard Institute for Journalism Education
Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1378

Politico Denies It Saw Comments as Racist

0
0
July 6, 2012

NABJ president decries reporter's forced departure; "prosecutorial discretion" could spare deportation; Anzio Williams named VP of news at NBC in Philly; ESPN's Larry Graham to be sports editor in San Diego; Contreras launches attack ad in NAHJ race; fired writer defends using unattributed P.R. material; S. African cartoon depicts president as male body part; when women sued Newsweek for sex bias, and won (6/6/12)

NABJ President Decries Reporter's Forced Departure

"Prosecutorial Discretion" Could Spare Deportation

Anzio Williams Named VP of News at NBC in Philly

ESPN's Larry Graham to Be Sports Editor in San Diego

"Prosecutorial Discretion" Could Spare Deportation

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has decided that Mario Guevara, the reporter who was denied political asylum and ordered to return to El Salvador with his family, is a candidate for "prosecutorial discretion," according to an ICE spokesman.

"Mario says the media coverage led to the [U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services] contacting his attorney to notify them that he was a candidate for prosecutorial discretion and would close his case, putting a halt to deportation proceedings," Veronica Villafañe reported Thursday for her Media Moves site.

"But that offer isn't enough. They didn't say anything about work authorization or legal status. I can't stay here undocumented, knowing how difficult life is if you don’t have papers. And I can't go back to El Salvador. It's dangerous not only for me, but for my children. I can't risk their lives," Guevara said, according to Villafañe.

"In 24 hours, almost 800 people have signed an online petition calling to stop the deportation of Mario Guevara and his family."

Mario Guevara

Kate Bumback of the Associated Press reported Thursday that Guevara's lawyer, Byron Kirkpatrick, said he still plans to go forward with an appeal of the immigration court judge's ruling on the asylum request.

"U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the agency in charge of work authorization, said it cannot comment on individual cases because of the federal Privacy Act," Bumback reported

Guevara is a reporter for Mundo Hispánico, the Spanish-language weekly published by the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

"His situation was aggravated by the fact his wife was arrested on Tuesday, July 3, for driving with an expired license," Villafañe reported.

". . . he claims that last year the [United States Citizenship and Immigration Services] made a mistake and denied his wife a work authorization extension, even though his was approved. Mario's job permit expires December 12.

" 'That's why her license had expired. We were waiting for our court hearing to resolve everything,' says Mario. 'When they arrested her, I decided to go public with our situation. . . ."

Anzio Williams Named VP of News at NBC in Philly

Anzio Williams, who just left KCRA-TV in Sacramento, Calif., after five years as news director, is joining NBC-owned WCAU-TV in Philadelphia, the nation's fourth largest television market, as vice president of news, NBC announced on Friday.

Anzio Williams"I'm so proud to be part of the hardest working news team in Philadelphia," Williams said in a news release. "This is a great news town, and I cannot wait be a part of this community."

"We're thrilled to welcome Anzio to our leadership team," said Eric Lerner, WCAU's president and general manager. "He has a distinguished record of accomplishments as a news manager and as a proven leader. He is a great addition to our team."

Williams was news director at WDSU in New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina hit the area in 2005. Williams also served as assistant news director at WESH-TV in Orlando and WCNC-TV in Charlotte, N.C.

Williams succeeds Chris Blackman, who left the station June 15 after 26 years at NBC.

ESPN's Larry Graham to Be Sports Editor in San Diego

"Larry Graham will be joining us this fall as our executive sports editor. Larry is currently an NFL editor at ESPN.com," Jeff Light, editor of UT-San Diego, formerly the San Diego Union-Tribune, told staff members in a memo on Thursday.

"Larry has run columnists and bloggers at the nation's top sports dot.com, worked the desk at big metro, ground it out at weeklies and run the show at small dailies. He has seen the tumult of the changing media landscape up close. He has strong opinions about the resourcefulness and determination it takes to succeed. You will find Larry to be a creative person with a vision for our multi-media reality. He has the range, the vision and the work ethic that our business today demands."

Larry Graham

"Mike and John and I have agreed to add a number of positions to sports help us build something special. Larry will be recruiting for as we gear up for the fall," he said, referring to Mike Hodges, president of the company, and John Lynch, CEO.

Graham joined ESPN a year ago after being sports editor of the 50,500-circulation Fayetteville (N.C.) Observer.

Light told Journal-isms by email, "Larry's reputation in sports journalism circles was the key. We think he's a great fit for what we are trying to do with this company."

Graham's appointment will return to two the number of African American sports editors at daily newspapers. The other is Lisa Wilson, executive sports editor at the Buffalo News.

Contreras Launches Attack Ad in NAHJ Race

Three weeks after the candidates for president of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists pledged to forgo personal attacks, a video promoting Russell Contreras characterizes rival Hugo Balta as one who has "missed half of his meetings while on the board" and who represents gambling away the organization's future.

The video by Contreras, who is vice president for print and chief financial officer, was removed from its YouTube perch by early Saturday.  However, it remained on his campaign's Facebook page and his Tumblr account, and was posted elsewhere on YouTube.

Hugo Balta, left, and Russell  Contreras

The video is set in Las Vegas, site of the upcoming Unity convention. "Don't Gamble Away NAHJ's Future — HalftimeInNAHJ" touts Contreras as the candidate who "brought NAHJ its first surplus" in years and "who had perfect attendance as financial officer."

Balta, by contrast, "missed half of his meetings while on the board . . . and left NAHJ more than $300,000 in the red."

While neither Contreras nor his campaign manager, Suzanne Gamboa, responded to an emailed request for comment Friday, Contrereas introduced the video on his Facebook page by saying: "Here's the latest video from HalftimeInNAHJ. The campaign is set to discuss our record and the record of our opponents so NAHJ members can make a clear choice on the next NAHJ board. Our campaign slate will refrain from personal attacks but will fairly contrast our records."

Balta, a former vice president for broadcast, said by email:

"I'm disappointed that Russell continues his personal attack campaigns against me. He knows well that I was unable to attend certain Board meetings because I had been laid off and was searching for a new opportunity. I discussed my dilemma with then NAHJ president Ricardo Pimentel, who was understanding and helped me stay active with my duties on the Board during a very difficult time for me and my family. For Russell to use that against me...I just hope he never has to go through what I and so many members have gone through. You don't kick someone when [they're] down, you lift them up on your shoulders, so they can reach higher than before."

[On Saturday, Balta released his own video responding to Contreras.]

Sal MoralesMeanwhile, supporters of television reporter Sal Morales of the NAHJ's South Florida chapter said the NAHJ elections committee discouraged him from running for the general at-large seat, leaving only one candidate on the ballot, Elizabeth Alvarez, a member of Contreras' HalftimeInNAHJ slate.

"Our members are very concerned that appears to be unfair targeting of certain candidates with very little transparency," Frances Robles of the Miami Herald, a former NAHJ board member, told Journal-isms by email. "We hear a lot of noise about 'vetting' and reference-checking and want to know what that's all about. Is that something that takes place in every election?

"The irony here is that I really am not crazy about the idea of unemployed board members. But I think that's for me as a voter to decide, not an elections committee."

She added later, "I spoke to Sal and asked him whether it was OK to pass on his telephone number. He's really concerned that this debate about his candidacy will become a cause celebre by people with agendas against the organization, and that's the last thing he wants.

"He said it was OK to tell you that he was thrilled to see the heart-warming responses to my posts on Facebook but would like to work it out within the group."

Rebecca Aguilar, a freelancer who is NAHJ general at-large officer, supported Morales in a Facebook posting. "As you all know, I'm a current NAHJ board member, and also running for VP of Online. I am also a proud freelance reporter. I was also questioned by the election committee. They wanted to see if I was really getting paid," she wrote.

"I don't think it's fair that Sal Morales is not being allowed to run for office. Does the elections committee have a crystal ball and know that he has no freelance opportunities in the future. He could get a freelance gig tomorrow and then what? Life of the freelancer is hard to predict, but knowing Sal he's going to start getting freelance work soon.

"If Sal is willing to dip into his savings to pay for his food and hotel expenses to board meetings; then he should be allowed to run. He's been a loyal NAHJ member for years. I will say that NAHJ does not have the money to pay expenses for board members to go to board meetings.

". . . we allowed two board members to stay on when they should have been told to leave. We cannot have one set of rules for board members and another for members."

Elaine Aradillas, election committee chair, did not respond to an inquiry from Journal-isms.

[Aradillas posted this note on Facebook on Sunday: "I am out of town on assignment with spotty access to internet, so I'm just now catching up with all of this. Let me start off by saying that I am proud of the work done by the committee. As a committee, we spoke to candidates, their employers and references. We followed the bylaws and the election guide. I am sorry if people feel they were pressured, warned, discouraged, etc. I believe our group has been fair and professional. As for Sal, I spoke with him and he withdrew his nomination. I told him I would keep our conversation private, which I have done."] [Updated July 9.]

Fired Writer Defends Using Unattributed P.R. Material

"A former columnist claims in court that the Kansas City Star defamed him after firing him for using what he says almost all reporters use — press releases," Joe Harris reported Thursday for Courthouse News Service.

Steve Penn

"Steve Penn worked for the Star from 1980 to July 2011. His last position was writing a thrice-weekly general interest column about upcoming high school and college sports events, for which Penn says he occasionally used press releases.

" 'The widespread practice in journalism is to treat such press releases as having been voluntarily released by their authors into the flow of news with the intention that the release will be reprinted or published, and preferably with no or minimal editing,' Penn says in his complaint in Jackson County Court.

" 'As such, attribution of such news releases is typically not expected by the author, nor offered by journalists who receive them.'

"Penn claims that it was 'the widespread practice at the Star ... to use these press releases without attribution'."

S. African Cartoon Depicts President as Male Body Part

In May, tensions were inflamed in South Africa after the ruling African National Congress objected to a satirical art exhibition that included a painting showing President Jacob Zuma as Lenin with his genitals exposed. The ANC forced a newspaper to remove the image from its website, and the painting was defaced in the gallery.

Jacob Zuma

Tension is rising again. On Friday, the government demanded that the Mail & Guardian remove from its website a cartoon published Friday that features an erect penis with a showerhead and legs with an accompanying limerick about Zuma.

The limerick read: "Though sex is his publicised sport Zuma took the dick-painting to court suing Brett's free expression, confirmed the impression he's as big a dick as we thought," Agence France-Presse reported Friday.

Zuma has been married six times, currently has four wives and 21 children, and acknowledged in 2010 that he fathered a child that year with a woman who was not among his wives, the Associated Press has reported.

"A court found him not guilty of raping an HIV-positive woman in 2006," AFP added. "He said he took a shower shortly after unprotected sex with the woman."

M&G Editor-in-Chief Nic Dawes said, "We have no plans to remove the cartoon" from the site, according to the South African Press Association.

The ANC, which Zuma heads, the ANC Women's League (ANCWL) and the National Union of Metalworkers of SA (NUMSA) issued statements condemning the cartoon by Jonathan Shapiro, also known as Zapiro.

The ANCWL said: "The Zapiro cartoons rely on their shock value to make an impact, but calling the president of this great nation a 'dick' is unacceptable and the WL would like to know who the 'we' he is referring to in the cartoon actually is, as the majority of the population who voted for the president clearly did not think this of Zuma."

Eleanor Holmes Norton, center, now the District of Columbia's delegate to Congress, announce

When Women Sued Newsweek for Sex Bias, and Won

"Forty years ago in July, Ms. debuted as a stand-alone magazine," Cyndi Stivers wrote for the July/August cover story of Columbia Journalism review. "Thanks to the efforts of Gloria Steinem, Suzanne Levine (a former editor of this magazine), and their colleagues, a woman is now, by default, addressed without reference to her marital status. It is hard to overemphasize how important (and to be blunt, how unlikely to succeed) this campaign seemed at the time. And Ms. is still on the stands, having staved off a few near-death experiences.

"So how about the media industry itself? . . .

". . . A bit more than 40 years ago, several dozen young women at Newsweek sued for sex discrimination, paving the way for similar suits at The New York Times and Reader's Digest. One of those who sued Newsweek, Lynn Povich, went on to become the magazine's first female senior editor (and later, editor in chief of Working Woman and a senior exec at MSNBC.com). Her memoir about the suit, The Good Girls Revolt, will be published in September by Public Affairs.

"Povich has been in and around journalism since birth: Her father, Shirley Povich, was a renowned sportswriter at The Washington Post; her brother and sister-in-law are TV anchors Maury Povich and Connie Chung; and her husband is Steve Shepard, the longtime editor of Business Week who has since founded a new J-School for the City University of New York (and has a memoir of his own coming out). CJR editor in chief Cyndi Stivers spoke to Povich in June about what it was really like to sue her boss — and win."

Short Takes

Follow Richard Prince on Twitter

Facebook users: "Like" "Richard Prince's Journal-isms" on Facebook.

read more


Viewing all articles
Browse latest Browse all 1378

Latest Images

Trending Articles